Tuesday, December 2, 2008

TWITTER FRIENDS

Twitter friends,

Thanks for stopping by to answer these questions. I truly appreciate your time and help:) Drawing for free gift will be held on December 15th from names of all who chose to respond. One winner-one GREAT gift :)

I am curious as to whether my knitting and crochet friends purchase small yardage samples/accent yarns to add to projects?

Would it be practical to offer 5-25 yard sample/accent skeins? Priced between $2.00-$5.50 :)

If you liked the colorway/colors would you purchase several skeins in order to make a project?

What weight/wpi do you find most useful for accent yarn?

****Please just add your answers as a comment and I will get an email with the information****


The reason that I am asking is that with watching my grand-daughter nearly full-time and other household duties, I am finding it difficult to spend a week(on what would normally take a day and a half) making 150-200 yards of two-ply yarn. I love to spin and have mastered spinning navajo ply-as-you-go. On my small Bosworth this gives me about 20 yards per skein of three-ply yarn. I have tons of wool which I wish to get spun and out of my storage, so I am looking for a workable way to do this and your answers will certainly help with my decision on how to proceed.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

To be honest, I personally don't buy accent skeins. I like to buy project amounts of yarn, and then I always have accent amounts left over. I almost always buy sock weight, with enough yardage for a pair when buying handspun.

Metro Mari said...

I would love that option...I make lots of blankets and clothing for babies and toddlers and love to put in different textures and colors.

rockcreekcreations said...

I myself, would love this. I make fiber bookmarks and brooches, and generally find it hard to buy 200 yards, when each one take at the most 5 yards.

Would it be practical to offer 5-25 yard sample/accent skeins? Priced between $2.00-$5.50 :)

This would make it very reasonable to purchase good quality-nice yarn.

If you liked the colorway/colors would you purchase several skeins in order to make a project?

I would, but I probably wouldn't need too much at a time.

What weight/wpi do you find most useful for accent yarn?

Any weight...

Thanks for asking!! Marge

Morrgan said...

I do a lot of small projects, so I'd be interested in small skeins, say around 15-20 yards. I can't say for sure about the weight or wpi (we don't use such terms here in Finland and instead go by the needle size used), but I use smallish needles, 2.5-3.5 mm, for the small things. I think that corresponds to fingering?

Anonymous said...

Would it be practical to offer 5-25 yard sample/accent skeins? Priced between $2.00-$5.50 :)
Yes. I love to sample yarns. I tend to buy just one skein to play with before sinking a lot of money into several hundred yards.

If you liked the colorway/colors would you purchase several skeins in order to make a project? Maybe or I would just use it as an accent.

What weight/wpi do you find most useful for accent yarn?
Lace! No question about it. It's easy to just hold the accent lace yarn with the mc (main color) for a few rows to add a pop of color.

LazyTcrochet said...

I don't do a lot of small projects or anything that I would use "accent yarns" for. I am usually looking for a larger amount for bigger projects.
I like reading the comments above though.

Unknown said...

I would purchase smaller bit of fancier yarns to add to projects. I work mostly in worsted and bulkier weights.

And, yes, if I loved the sample I'd probably purchase more.

Adrienne

MostFavoriteAunt said...

Sorry. I usually buy in bulk. At minimum enough yardage for an adult scarf and hat set.

When my project is finished, I ball what's left, and keep separate for embellishments later on.

Good Luck!